The mandarin tree beneath the balcony has begun to blossom. I take it as a faint promise of the spring coming. Leaves and grass beginning to turn - slowly, slowly - greener.
Festivities have taken over Nepal this weekend again.
Friday marked Shiva Ratri, a day to celebrate Lord Shiva, one of the most worshipped of all Hindu gods, the Destroyer of Evil. Holy men and pilgrims from all over Southeast Asia have gathered to Kathmandu days, even weeks in advance, to celebrate the special day, known as Lord Shiva's birthday. Interestingly, it is believed that Shiva fancied marijuana, and thus an important part of the day is to indulge in smoking it. As it happens, it is also the only day in the year when it is legal. I decided to indulge myself, however, in activities such as getting a hair cut, shopping, and exploring new parts of this crazy, bubbly city that seems like neverending and with a growing realisation I begin to accept that a day off once in while will never allow me enough time to know it all, nevermind understand it.
This crazy city has today been decorated with tacky pink heart-shaped balloons, for Valentine's Day has landed even to this far end of the world - still prominently a nation of arranged marriages, making celebrations of romantic love seem a little absurd. But what else can you expect from a city and a country that can happily mix everything and anything - communism and hinduism for one - and make it seem all natural?
And as if this was not enough, it is (yes I know, this is getting repetitious now) New Year again. Losar, the Tibetan New Year, recognised here as the Sherpa New Year, 2137, the year of the Tiger, has kept government offices and schools shut today.
I don't imagine my restricted mind could come up with a way to combine and melt these two events falling on a same day, but at the same I time have no doubt it has easily been managed by the festive Nepalis, with their amazing ability to adapt.
Anyway, in the midst of recovering from last night's charity party for relief aid to the people of Haiti, I take this chance to wish eveyone happy all the mentioned and whatever else you may happen to be celebrating. I celebrate the beginning of the spring by slowly abandoning a layer of clothing after another, in faith of warmer times to come.

Hope you had a great Valentines day!
ReplyDelete